I generally don’t cook with a lot of processed or precooked store bought foods, however there is one item I try to always have in my freezer. Frozen precooked grilled chicken breast strips are such a convenient item to keep in the freezer. Add it to rice or pasta dishes and you immediately have a one pot meal with protein. So versatile, I often add it to soups and salads also. When time is limited, this helps put dinner on the table in a jiffy.
I used these frozen chicken breast strips to put together this chicken salad in short order. Of course, if you have some leftover roast chicken, that would work just as well in this salad. I also used Hellman’s Sandwich Spread. When I was a child, my Mom always made tuna fish with this Sandwich Spread instead of plain old mayonnaise. It is a mixture of mayo and sweet relish, but if you prefer or it’s not available where you are, feel free to just use regular mayonnaise.
Mango Pomegranate Chicken Salad
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Finishing Time: 5 minutes
Yield: Serves 6-8
- 1/4 cup drained canned corn
- 1 cup defrosted frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 15 quartered green grapes
- 2 stalks finely chopped celery
- 1 grated kohlrabi
- 1 1/2 tablespoons aji amarillo pepper paste (or your favorite spicy pepper paste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups frozen chicken breast strips
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 7 finely chopped mint leaves
- 1/2 cup sweet mango chutney
- 2/3 cup Hellman’s sandwich spread
Warm up chicken breast in microwave according to package instructions. Dice chicken.
In a large bowl, combine all the vegetables, fruits, spices and herbs. Mix to combine.
Add the chutney and sandwich spread. Mix until thoroughly combined.
Lots of veggies, but with sweet flavors, this is a #kidfriendly chicken salad to make sure they get their daily dose of protein and vegetables.
Creamy & luscious, but not watery.
Serve on a bed of lettuce for a healthy lunch.