It’s time for #BreadBakers again and this month’s theme of Italian Breads is being hosted by Anshie of Spice Roots
I seem to be on a sweet bread kick – last month it was Barmbrack from Ireland and this month it’s Gubana. This bread is not for the bread making dabler. You have to be a dedicated and patient bread baker to go through the day long process of making this bread…but you won’t be sorry!
Gubana is a sweet bread from Northern Italy, specifically the region of Friuli. This is an autonomous region in northeastern Italy officially known as Friuli-Venezia Giulia. This part of Italy has a lot of German and Slavic influences in cuisine and culture. In fact, you can even call this nut and fruit packed bread Italy’s version of a strudel.
OMG – is this bread a time consuming process and not resting time either because while the bread is resting, you are working on prepping the ingredients for the filling and putting that together. So when you decide to make this bread, be sure you have set aside a day to devote to it. However, I promise you that it is well worth the effort!
If you have some little helpers around who can toast and chop walnuts, toast breadcrumbs, and chop fruit, then the time devoted to this bread will be largely reduced. Let them make the filling while you put your feet up J and wait for the dough to rise…again…and again….and again!
…adapted from Ciao Italia
…and since we are celebrating Italian breads this month, check out some of the others I’ve baked in the past:
- Florentine Torte
- Rosemary Asiago Focaccia
- Tuscan Coffee Cake
- Spinach Pesto Pizza
- Semolina Bread
- Whole Wheat Pesto Knots
- Vegetable Focaccia
IN THE MAKING PHOTOS:
Now, let’s check out the other breads my fellow #breadbakers cooked up this month:
- Casatiello by A Shaggy Dough Story
- Ciabatta Sandwich Rolls by Herbivore Cucina
- Classic Italian Bread by Hostess At Heart
- Cornetti by Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Einkorn Parmesan Piadina by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Fingermillet and Rosemary Focaccia by Sizzling Tastebuds
- Focaccia Caprese by Sneha’s Recipe
- Grissini by Sara’s Tasty Buds
- Gubana – An Italian Sweet Bread by The Schizo Chef
- Il Pane di Matera by Food Lust People Love
- Italian BLT Focaccia by A Salad For All Seasons
- Italian Easter Bread by Palatable Pastime
- Italian Easter Cheese Bread by A Baker’s House
- Italian Herb and Garlic Focaccia by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Italian Stuffed Pane Bianco by Cook’s Hideout
- Mini Panettone by Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Pane Bianco by Veenas Vegnation
- Pane di Genzano by Spiceroots
- Piadina by Passion Kneaded
- Pizza alla Siciliana by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Rosemary and Cabernet Salt Focaccia by What Smells So Good?
- Torta Salata Pasquale by A day in the Life on the Farm
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to firstname.lastname@example.org