This is a very simple dal, infused with garlic and dried chiles. Sookhi Tadka Dal – Garlic Urad Dal UP Style makes the perfect side dish with any rice or Indian flatbread.
Last November, the Blogging Marathon crew had a thali theme. Thali’s are meals comprising of several small quantity dishes that are traditionally served on round metal plates with many round bowls for each of the dishes. I did a mini thali representing the foods of Uttar Pradesh, a state in northern India. At that time, I only presented the recipe for Matar ka Nimona aur Mungodi – Mung Bean Dumplings in Green Pea Broth. Today, I am presenting another recipe from the thali representing this state. This simple dal is so flavorful with the garlic tadka (seasoning). If you are a garlic lover, this is the dal for you.
The varieties of dal that vary from state to state in India are endless. It’s so sad we get such a limited range when we visit Indian restaurants. Unfortunately, the only way you will get to taste them is to make them yourself. I encourage you to try some of these other dal’s until you find your favorite.
- Daineiiong – Meghalaya Black Sesame Dal
- Nigella Seed Dal – Bengali Onion Seed Dal
- Methi Toor Dal – Fenugreek Dal
- Mamidikaya Pappu – Green Mango Dal
- Panchratna Dal – Five Lentil Dal
- Matar ka Nimona aur Mungodi
- Makhani Roti – Butter Roti
- Taheri – UP Style Vegetable Pulao
- Sookhi Tadka Dal
- Lucknowi Style Chicken Curry
- Nimish – Saffron Cream dessert
and if you’d still like to try some other UP dishes…
Uttar Pradesh Recipes
- Aloo Rasedar – Railway Potato Curry
- Jeera Aloo Salan & Thandai – Lamb Potato Curry & Flavored Milk Drink
It tastes better even the next day…as the garlic continues to infuse the dal.
Not only is this dal delicious, but with all the healing properties of garlic it’s not only good…but also good for you!