Sequilhos de Coco – Brazilian GF Coconut Cookies
Gluten Free Cornstarch Cookies with coconut make a perfect tea time snack!
Cornstarch cookies are very popular throughout South America. Most countries have some version of them like these Alfajores. Due to the cornstarch base, they just melt in your mouth and are perfect to enjoy during merienda (Latin American tea time).
In Brazil, they are known as Biscoitos de Maizena. Maizena is the brand name for cornstarch throughout South America, so they translate quite simply as Cornstarch Cookies. However, I decided to do another version from Brazil that is also very popular but with the added bonus of coconut.
They still have the same melt in your mouth texture but even better, for coconut lovers!
I know many of us have a tendency to skim through recipes, so I just want to bring to your attention a few directions from the recipe that are very important.
- It is quite a dry batter. Do not be tempted to add liquid. The heat of your hands will help to mold the cookies.
- Dust your hands with cornstarch as you are shaping the cookies, otherwise the buttery cookies will stick to your hands so much and become very messy, making it impossible to shape the cookies.
Now that you know all of the tricks, I know you are ready to try your hand at making your own Sequilhos de Coco – Brazilian GF Coconut Cookies
If you have never had cornstarch cookies before, you are in for a treat. They literally melt in your mouth!
These cookies make the perfect snack with a cup of tea or a glass of milk.
Central and South American Desserts
- Alfajores – Dulce de Lech Sandwich Cookies by Sneha’s Recipe
- Cocada de Forno – Brazilian Baked Coconut by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Golfeados by Caroline’s Cooking
- Sequilhos de Coco – Brazilian Coconut Cornstarch Cookies by The Schizo Chef
- Tres Leche Cake – 3 milk cake by Recipe Pocket
Ready to make Sequilhos de Coco – Brazilian GF Coconut Cookies ? – I would love to see your pics! Tag me on Instagram @chefmireille #theschizochef with your delicious photos!
SHARE THIS DELICIOUS RECIPE WITH YOUR FOODIE FRIENDS
Do you know anyone else who likes learning about international recipes, culture, history and travel? Start Here to find out how The Schizo Chef can help with your cooking, travel and other needs!