Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Mango Ketchup – Mango Ketchup is a great varietal ketchup and super easy to make by adding a few ingredients to store bought bottle ketchup. It goes great with Baked Sweet Potato Fries.
I got the mango ketchup idea from a cookbook I have called Yolele! It is a Senegalese cookbook, written by Chef Pierre Thiam. He used to have a wonderful restaurant here in Brooklyn, NY, called Le Grand Dakar. See my review of the restaurant here, including photos of some of the amazing food I had at his restaurant. Unfortunately, the restaurant has since closed.
Eventhough you can no longer get the food cooked by him, you can cook it yourself at home by getting this wonderful cookbook, that showcases the multi-culturalism of Senegal, with Middle Eastern, Spanish and even Vietnamese influences. As both former French colonies, many of the Vietnamese fought together in wars with the Senegalese. Many Vietnamese married Senegalese and stayed, hence there is a large Vietnamese community in Senegal.
Although not a traditionally Senegalese recipe, I like this inspired ketchup recipe. As soon as I saw this Mango Ketchup recipe, I thought it would go well with Sweet Potato Fries. However, as summer is approaching and so is bathing suit season, I wanted to make a healthier version of Sweet Potato Fries, so I baked them, instead of frying.
This is a healthy after-school snack that the kids would gobble up too!
With a few slight changes, here is my version of his mango ketchup.
This is such an addictive combo – it’s going to be hard to stop munching on these!
Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Mango Ketchup
- 1 mango peeled and chopped and as much of the mango as you can remove from the pit
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- 1/8 teaspoon Red Devil Cayenne pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries Ingredients:
- 1 sweet potato
- non-stick spray
- salt to taste
- In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients, except the ketchup. Bring to a boil and let it simmer, until mixture is thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Combine with ketchup in a food processor or blender and mix until smooth.
- Now let's make the fries.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Cut sweet potatoes into french fry shapes. The thinner you cut them, the crispier fry you will get.
- Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray. Spread fries on sheet and bake in oven for 30-40 minutes, tossing them 1/2 way though..
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Serve with mango ketchup.
Do you know anyone else who likes learning about international food, culture, history and travel? Bring them over here to join the party! Don’t forget to use those share buttons!
Start Here to find out how the Schizo Chef can help you with your cooking, travel and other needs!
…another recipe being contributed to Mango Mania