Indian Gluten Free Cardamom Pudding is an easy and quick dessert from Goa ready in under an hour, screaming with cardamom flavor!
Are you ready for tea time? Celebrate it the way they do in Goa with Beveca – Indian Gluten Free Cardamom Pudding.
Goa is located on the southwestern coast of India. As with much of coastal South India, coconut finds its way into most of their desserts!
This traditionally gluten free pudding is made with rice flour, coconut, almonds and bursting with cardamom flavor.
Are you a cardamom lover?
Cardamom is one of my favorite spices with its intoxicating aroma and flavor. In this recipe, it is important to use freshly ground cardamom seeds and not cardamom powder, in order to get that strong intoxicating cardamom flavor.
If you make a lot of Indian desserts, you will notice something different in Beveca – Indian Gluten Free Cardamom Pudding. It includes eggs.
Eggs are usually not included in most traditional desserts as the large population of pure Vegetarians in India do not consume eggs.
However, since Goa was under the rule of the Portuguese for such a long time, until 1961, it is the most Catholic of Indian states. For this reason, eggs are not avoided in most Goan desserts. Most Goan desserts are rich in eggs.
Where did I find this recipe?
Butala Emporium has two locations that I have visited – one in the mini Indian enclave on E. 28th street in Manhattan and one in the much larger Indian enclave of Jackson Heights. As far as I am concerned, the one in Jackson Heights is superior. First, the prices are better. Second, there is more variety of merchandise. You can get everything here from statues of Gods and items for puja to cooking vessels, thalis, bangles and hair and beauty products.
They have a large selection of cookbooks from India – Gujarati cuisine, Bengali cuisine, Rajasthani cuisine – a book can be found for all here at this Indian superstore. The cookbook I am using as a guide for this recipe I picked up here for a few dollars – Best of Indian Sweets and Desserts – SEE BELOW FOR KINDLE LINK.
It is a great comprehensive cookbook, that includes regional Indian dessert recipes from all the different states of India.
When I first decided to try this recipe, I thought it was a cake as it is baked in the oven. However, the batter is pre cooked for a few minutes on the stove until it is vanilla pudding consistency and then it is baked.
The result is the consistency somewhat akin to a steamed pudding.
This makes a great treat for tea time or a delicious gluten free holiday dessert!
Would you like to explore more into this delicious cuisine?
Check out my other Goan Recipes!
- Bolinhas – Coconut Cookies
- Ambotik – Fish Curry
- Chicken Espetada – Goan Kebab
- Baath – Semolina Coconut Cake
- Toi – Potato Dal
- Poee – Goan Pita Bread
Beveca – Indian Gluten Free Cardamom Pudding
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon cardamom seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg freshly grated
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sliced almonds for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a small square baking dish.
- Using a coffee/spice grinder, first grind the cardamom seeds.
- Add almonds and grind together with the cardamom.
- Combine flour, sugar, ground almonds, cardamom and nutmeg in a saucepan.
- Add coconut milk and eggs.
- Whisk well until thoroughly combined.
- Heat the mixture on medium heat, stirring constantly until it thickens, about 4-5 minutes. It should be the consistency of almost vanilla pudding. Stir constantly or else the flour in the batter will start to clump.
- Transfer to the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the additional almonds on top.
- Bake for 1/2 hour, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes before removing from baking pan.
- Flip over onto a plate. Then flip over again onto another plate so that the almond garnish will be on the top.
ARE YOU EXCITED TO TRY THIS RECIPE? PLEASE HELP ME CONTINUE TO PROVIDE YOU WITH DELICIOUS RECIPES BY SHARING IT AND SHOPPING FOR YOUR FAVORITE AMAZON PRODUCTS WITH THE LINKS BELOW!
PIN IT FOR LATER
DO YOU YUM? SAVE IT BELOW!Yum
DONT FORGET TO CHECK OUT MY RECIPE INDEX WITH OVER 1000 INTERNATIONAL RECIPES FROM AROUND THE WORLD
DISCLAIMER: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost to you. *** Other Affiliate links may also be included***Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM#107