Cardamom Coffee Pound Cake
Cardamom Coffee Pound Cake is infused with the heady aroma of cardamom. Perfect with a cup of coffee or tea.
This recipe is adapted from a little newspaper called Relish. I am not sure if I picked up this free little newsletter of recipes in a store or whether it came as an insert in a newspaper. Regardless, this small 15 page guide is full of lots of interesting recipes, which is why I saved it in the first place.
The Almond Butter Pancakes I posted last week were from this newsletter and here is another delicious recipe from it.
This issue of the guide published in January, 2014 was focused on healthy cooking. By using yogurt and olive oil instead of butter, this is a healthier version than your average pound cake, which was traditionally made with a pound each of butter, flour, sugar and eggs.
This cake brings coffee cake or pound cake to the next level. After baking it is first fed coffee and after it drinks up all the coffee, a delicious glaze is poured over it!
Here is the delicious cake after the glaze has been poured over it!
Perfect with an after dinner cup of coffee or at tea time!
If you’re a coffee lover, this is definitely the cake for you!
Cardamom Coffee Pound Cake
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup sugar divided3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1/3 cup mild olive oil
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- a pinch ground cardamom
- 2-4 tablespoons brewed coffee
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a loaf pan with non stick spray.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the espresso in 1 teaspoon water.In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and cardamom. Mix to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, 3/4 cup of the sugar, vanilla, espresso and oil. Whisk well until thoroughly combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to this and mix until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- In a small saucepan, combine the brewed coffee and remaining sugar.
- Heat until sugar dissolves.
- Bake 50-55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Leave in the pan to cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and place on a wire rack over a cookie sheet.
- Using a toothpick, poke holes in the cake.
- Pour the coffee mixture over the cake and leave it to soak in as the cake cools.
- To prepare the icing, combine powdered sugar, brewed coffee and cardamom, stirring until smooth.
- Depending on how you thin or thick you prefer your icing, start with 2 tablespoons of coffee and add more as needed.
- Drizzle icing over cooled cake if your icing is thick or if it is thinner as I made it, you can spread the icing over the top.
This post is for the CC Challenge of the month
Don’t forget to check out some other cakes for tea time!
Tea Time Cakes
- Lemon Lavender Tea Cake
- Passionfruit Coconut Tea Cake
- Papaya Tutti Frutti Cake
- Pistacchio Crusted Mango Rose Cake
- Saffron Ricotta Tea Cake
- Spiced Fig Tea Cake
- Upside Down Kumquat Lavender Tea Cake