Finnish Cardamom Tea Cake
Finnish Cardamom Tea Cake is a soft and moist cake, perfect for tea time.
Although now a Scandinavian country, Finland was once part of Russia and that part of the world loves sour cream. My best friend’s husband is Russian and there are always huge tubs of sour cream in their fridge that they eat with everything from potatoes and pierogies to breakfast.
Many years ago before everyone had a printer/scanner in their house and before millions of recipes were available online, I used to go to the library and take out cookbooks. I would then wait until the end of the day after most of the staff had already left the office I was working in and I would photocopy the recipes I was interested in. To this date, I still have 3 binders of recipes, however, I did not note the source so I cannot tell you where I got this recipe from.
I have been making this cake for many years now and it is always a bit hit with whoever I share it with.
Have you ever had the Sour Cream Pound Cake by Entenmann’s – well this is like the home made version, but even better with the amazing flavor and aroma of cardamom.
It is very porous with a soft and tender crumb.
Perfect for tea time or as an evening snack. Enjoy it simply with some fresh berries.
However, before I get to today’s recipe, let’s check out some other delicious foods from that part of the world.
- Fjelbrod – Norwegian Whole Grain Bread
- Viking Brown Bread
- Skagenrora – Swedish Shrimp Salad
- Swedish Pancakes
- Sandbakkels – Norwegian Almond Cookie Cups
- Turnbrodsrolle – Swedish Rye Wraps
- Beet Fritters
- Pinaattiletut – Finnish Spinach Pancakes
- Friteeratut Kala – Fried Fish in White Sauce
- Finnish Sandtorte – Potato Pound Cake
- Uppakra – Swedish Butter Cookies
- Vyborg Pretzels – Finnish Saffron Pretzels
- Blotkake – Norwegian Cream Cake
- Appelsinris – Orange Rice Pudding
I am not a huge chocolate fan and for me, this is the perfect treat for any time!
Finnish Cardamom Tea Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350. Spray a loaf pan with non stick spray.
- Combine the flour, cardamom, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add eggs one at a team, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla and sour cream. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add the dry ingredients in 2 batches, mixing well after each addition.
- After the final addition, mix until you have a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Transfer to oven and bake for 1 hour, until inserted tester comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes on a wire rack.
- Remove the cake from pan and serve.
ARE YOU EXCITED TO TRY THIS RECIPE? PLEASE HELP ME CONTINUE TO PROVIDE YOU WITH DELICIOUS RECIPES BY SHARING IT AND SHOPPING FOR YOUR FAVORITE AMAZON PRODUCTS WITH THE LINKS BELOW!
PIN IT FOR LATER
DO YOU YUM? SAVE IT BELOW!Yum
DONT FORGET TO CHECK OUT MY RECIPE INDEX WITH OVER 1000 INTERNATIONAL RECIPES FROM AROUND THE WORLD
DISCLAIMER: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost to you. *** Other Affiliate links may also be included***