Caribbean Almond Spaghetti is a great dish for #MeatlessMonday. With the protein from the almond butter, it is a complete meal!
Throughout the Caribbbean, spaghetti is a much beloved side dish, albeit with our own interpretation. Whether you are in the Dutch, French, Spanish or British Caribbean, the preparation is similar, albeit with slight adaptations. Our spaghetti is not served with a lot of sauce, but merely coated with the sauce because for us, spaghetti is a side dish, not a course on its own. Spaghetti will most often be served with fried or stewed meats.
In this interpretation, the African influence on the Caribbean is apparent with the use of peanut butter. I have adapted this recipe I found in what is largely regarded as the cookbook bible of Caribbean Cuisine – The Multi Cultural Cuisine of Trinidad & Tobago & the Caribbean. I instead used almond butter and I added additional veggies like brussel sprouts, although green cabbage would more commonly be used in the Caribbean, but this was a good way to empty out my vegetable bin.
Would you like to try some more Caribbean foods? Here’s just a few of my Caribbean recipes!
- Pastechi – Aruba style Empanadas
- Coconut Roll
- Coconut Sweet Bread
- Soup Jou Mou – Haitian Pumpkin Soup
- Pain Patate -Haitian Sweet Potato Bread
- Coo-Coo – Caribbean style Polenta
- Akasan – Haitian Cornmeal drink
IN THE MAKING
You can add leftover grilled chicken or char sui to transform it into a one pot dish.
Grab a glass of Sorrel or Ginger Beer as we would in the Caribbean and dig in!!!
Caribbean Almond Spaghetti
- 8 oz. spaghetti I used whole grain spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 10 oz. trimmed and quartered brussel sprouts
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 1/3 cups tomato juice I used V-8 Spicy Hot
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- salt to taste
- Cook spaghetti in a large pot of boiling water, according to package instructions.
- In a large skillet, heat oil. Add onion and bell pepper. Saute until the onion starts to brown.
- Add brussel sprouts, carrots and 1/3 cup water. Cook for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the almond butter and tomato juice until thoroughly combined.
- Add to vegetables with the spaghetti. Add salt and toss to combine.
If you like this recipe, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT & SUBSCRIBE!
This post is for the CC Challenge of the month