Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
These cookies are a great foundation for decorated holiday cookies with seasonal favorite flavors of chocolate and mint.
Are you a decorator?
If you are, I envy your talent. While I can bake a great cake, decorating is a completely different art form that is just not my forte.
That is why you will hardly see decorated cakes and cookies on this site. Most of my cakes and cookies are simply bake and eat. No decorating required!
However, sometimes I do want to elevate the aesthetics of baked goods especially during the holiday season. I am one who goes for shortcut decorating methods.
So how did I easily decorate these delicious cookies?
I used store bought Royal Icing Mix (just add water) and Edible Spray Paint . The spray mist comes in a variety of colors. You can even combine multiple colors on the same cookies if desired.
Or you can also just keep it simple and decorate only with the royal icing and crushed candy canes.
How easy is that? Just add water to Royal Icing Mix. I added a little more water than suggested as I prefer thinner icing. Then sprinkle with crushed candy cane’s and then spray with your favorite color. Who knew gorgeous decorated cookies could be this easy?
You don’t have to be a master decorator to still put together a beautifully decorated cookie!
Before we get to today’s Chocolate Peppermint Cookies, let’s take a look at some other cookies you might want to whip up during the holiday season!
- Pepperkakor – Scandinavian Spice Cookies
- Paprenjaci – Croatian Walnut Spice Cookies
- Sandbakkels – Almond Cookie Cups
- Serkerpare – Turkish Semolina Cookies
- Rugelach – Jewish Filled Cookies
- Hamentaschen – Jewish Purim Cookies
- Spiced Chocolate Butterscotch Cookies
- Fiorentini – Gluten Free Chocolate Cookies
- Bolinhas – Goan Coconut Cookies
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- 3 oz. chocolate at least 72% cacao
- 2 large candy canes or equivalent peppermint candy
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup softened butter
- ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 8 oz. royal icing mix
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- 2 coarsely crushed candy canes or equivalent peppermint candy
- Edible spray paint optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with non stick spray.
- Using a double boiler, melt the chocolate.
- Break candy canes into smaller pieces.
- Using a coffee/spice grinder, grind the candy cane pieces to a powder. This should yield about 2 tablespoons.
- In a bowl, combine flour, espresso powder, baking powder, salt and candy cane powder.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add egg and chocolate. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add flour combination and mix until just combined.
- Using about 2 tablespoons for each cookie, roll into balls and place on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until set.
- Leave to cool completely before removing from cookie sheets.
- Remove from cookie sheets and now it’s time to decorate.
- To make royal icing, add water and mix until thoroughly combined. Use more or less water, depending on how thick or thin you prefer your royal icing.
- Transfer to a squeeze bottle and drizzle the royal icing onto the cookies.
- Crush candy canes by running a rolling pin over them on a cutting board. You want them to be a little chunky.
- Sprinkle crushed candy canes on top.
- Leave to dry for 5-10 minutes.
- Spray with edible spray paint, as desired.
ARE YOU EXCITED TO TRY THIS RECIPE? PLEASE HELP ME CONTINUE TO PROVIDE YOU WITH DELICIOUS RECIPES BY SHARING IT AND SHOPPING FOR YOUR FAVORITE AMAZON PRODUCTS WITH THE LINKS BELOW!
PIN IT FOR LATER
DISCLAIMER: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost to you. *** Other Affiliate links may also be included***