Curtido – Pickled Cabbage Salad is the perfect accompaniment to almost any Latin meal – Great to top off your tacos, arepas and enchiladas!
Many countries have a version of a pickled cabbage salad like Haitian Pikliz and many Eastern European countries. It just adds a little tang to whatever you are eating. You can make it as spicy or not as you like – just add more chiles!!!
This style of Curtido is made in Mexico, El Salvador, Nicaragua and many countries of both South and Central America.
Here are some Latin dishes that you can top with this Curtido.
South American Recipes
Chiles Rellenos – Stuffed Poblanos
This is a great option if you want a complete Vegetarian South American meal with Cheese Stuffed Arepas, Beans and Curtido!
Even just with some rice and beans, this pickled salad adds so much flavor!
You can switch up the quantities of red and white cabbage as well as white to red wine vinegar as desired. You can use all white vinegar if that’s all you have. You can also add some thinly sliced onions if you like.
It will last for many weeks. Just store in glass jars in the refrigerator.
Curtido – Pickled Cabbage Salad
- 2 cups grated red cabbage
- 3 cups grated white cabbage
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 2 finely chopped jalapenos
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups red wine vinegar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups boiling water
- Combine cabbages, carrots, jalapeno, salt, pepper, oregano and sugar. Toss to combine.
- Add vinegar and place in a shallow bowl. Mix well.
- Add boiling water and leave to rest in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.