These Finnish Spinach Pancakes – Pinaattiletut make a great breakfast, brunch or serve it as an after school snack to the kids, like they do in Finland.
F is for Finland…
There are three types of spinach pancakes from Finland I came across. First, there is Pinattipannukakku – which is a jelly roll style where a dough is stuffed with a spinach filling, rolled and then baked. Then there is Pinaattiletut and Pinaattiohukaiset which are used almost interchangeably as far as I can tell via my Internet research. These are unleavened spinach crepes usually eaten with lingonberry jam for breakfast or as an after school snack for children.
…so when you have some extra Spinach in the refrigerator and looking for something different to do with them, try this delicious utilization of the green…
More Savory Pancake Recipes
- Korean Zucchini Pancakes
- Bindaetteok – Korean Mung Bean Pancakes
- Pol Roti – Sri Lankan Coconut Pancakes
- Scallion Pancakes
IN THE MAKING – MAKING SPINACH PANCAKES
Serve with lingonberry or currant jam and sour cream.
I wasn’t sure how the jam would taste with the savory pancakes. however due to the tart flavor of black currant, it actually complemented the pancakes well. Lingonberry also has a tart flavor. A sweet jam like orange marmalade or strawberry wouldn’t work with these pancakes, but tart berry jams do.
Finnish Spinach Pancakes – Pinaattiletut
- 4 oz. baby spinach
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- a pinch nutmeg
- a pinch paprika
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg well beaten
- extra butter for frying
- In a food processor, puree the spinach with the milk and butter.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, nutmeg and paprika. Add spinach puree and egg. Mix to combine until you have a very smooth batter.
- Melt enough butter to just coat the bottom of a skillet and pour about 2 tablespoons of batter for each pancake. Fry until browned on both sides.
Do you know anyone else who likes learning about international food, culture, history and travel? Bring them over here to join the party! Don’t forget to use those share buttons!
Start Here to find out how the Schizo Chef can help you with your cooking, travel and other needs!
If you like this recipe, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT & SUBSCRIBE!