Gulab Jamun Cupcakes
Quick cupcakes stuffed with the Indian dessert, Gulab Jamun, are a surprise inside. Great to whip up in a flash if you already have the jamun at the ready!
It’s that time again. Yes the monthly Food Blogger Swap is here when I have the pleasure of inviting you to another blogger. Lathi’s Kitchen is a great place for quick and easy recipes. Mostly Indian or Indian inspired recipes, it’s a great place to find delicious Indian food and lots of kid friendly treats!
Gulab Jamun is one of my all time favorite Indian desserts. Milk powder based donuts are soaked in a light syrup infused with cardamom, saffron and rose water. They just literally melt in your mouth.
I have made them a few times, but I often keep a can of Gulab Jamun I get from the Indian market in my pantry. I have a large extended family and I often receive unexpected guests.
I try to keep a can in my pantry so I always have something to offer my unexpected guests if I have nothing else when they stop by. I had just purchased a new can, so when I was perusing her site to figure out which one to try, these cupcakes immediately got my attention.
Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
I only made a slight revision to her recipe in that I used whole wheat pastry flour instead of all purpose flour. Whole wheat pastry flour has added fiber etc. because of the wheat, however it is made with a low protein flour which results in a very tender crumb. Therefore, you will get the same tender results of all purpose flour, but with added health value.
IN THE MAKING – HOW TO MAKE GULAB JAMUN CUPCAKES
A delicious snack with some fresh fruit.
Gulab Jamun Cupcakes
- seeds from 2 cardamom pods
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoons syrup from gulab jamun
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 mini gulab jamun or 3 regular size gulab jamun cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a muffin tin with muffin liners or use 6 silicone muffin molds and spray with non stick spray.
- Using a coffee/spice grinder, grind the cardamom seeds with the sugar.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, egg, yogurt and syrup.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder. Whisk to remove any lumps.
- Add flout to wet ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Place about 1 ½ tablespoons of batter on the bottom of each muffin mold.
- Place the gulab jamun in the middle of each mold of batter, pressing down a little.
- Place remaining batter on top, making sure the gulab jamun is completely covered.
- Transfer to oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes until set and a tester inserted into cupcake part comes out clean.
- Cool and enjoy with fresh fruit!
Check out the other Recipe Swap Recipes
- Carrot & Zucchini Noodle Salad
- Coconut Rava Ladoo
- Ghee Rice
- Honey Toasted Sesame Paneer
- Pesto Pasta Chaat
- Gujarati Root Vegetable Stir Fry
- Apple Date Chutney
- Blackberry Lime Cupcakes
- Spicy Mint Quinoa
- Jeera Rice
- Easy Chicken Wraps
- Bengali Dum Aloo
- Andhra Tomato Pickle
- Gulab Jamun Cupcakes