Nimish – Uttar Pradesh Cream Pudding is a simple and luscious cream dessert from the Awadhi cuisine of Uttar Pradesh, located in North India.
Nowadays it’s common knowledge to most that people with Celiac’s disease cannot consume gluten and many other people prefer to eat gluten free diets. Some say it helps with other medical issues. Others just say eating gluten free provides them with more energy and more mood stabilization. There is some debate in this latter group whether there is any truth to it or whether it’s a fad that many have hopped onto.
Whatever the reason, being gluten free in America is pretty easy now. Simply replacing the wheat in grains with rice, oats or quinoa, there is gluten free everything from bread to pasta to pizza to cookies. Many traditional desserts have received a modern gluten free interpretation in things like apple pie, pound cake and everything else you can possibly think of.
Practically every box in the supermarket says gluten free – even things that never had gluten to begin with – like rice pudding and popping corn. In approaching the BM theme this week of Gluten Free Desserts, I decided instead to represent traditional gluten free desserts from different cultures that were always gluten free. Yesterday I took you to Norway for a delicious citrusy rice pudding and today we are going to the North Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. This dish is from Nawab cuisine. The Nawab’s were the ruling kings of present day Uttar Pradesh in northern India during the Mughal Empire. Their cuisine has roots in Persia and Central Asia.
It is more traditionally garnished with nuts. However, I think it also works great garnished with fresh fruit of blueberries and kiwi, especially if you have nut allergies. This makes such a fresh and fruity dessert – it’s a great summer time treat! Save it your Pinterest board and make it this summer!
It’s so quick and easy – perfect for summer when you don’t want to be spending a lot of time in the kitchen.
This Nimish was the perfect way to end the meal of my Uttar Pradesh thali. Don’t forget to check out the other recipes of this thali!
Uttar Pradesh Thali
- Tahiri – Vegetable Pulao
- Sookhi Tadka Dal – Garlic Urad Dal
- Makhani Paratha – Butter Paratha
- Lucknowi Chicken Curry
- Matar Ka Nimona aur Mangodi – Mung Bean Dumplings in Green Pea Soup
Nimish – Uttar Pradesh Cream Pudding
- 1 large pinch of saffron
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 ¼ cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- 1 tablespoon chopped almonds and/or pistacchios garnish
- Heat the milk and add saffron. Leave for 10 minutes until the color infuses the milk.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the heavy cream until whipped cream consistency.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the saffron milk, rose water and sugar into the whipped cream.
- Pour into 4 individual ramekins and chill in the refrigerator for a few hours.
- To serve, garnish with chopped nuts and/or fruit.