This classic Oatmeal Bread is an easy recipe to get you started on your Bread Baking journey, if you are yet to begin. Perfect for everything from sandwiches to French Toast.
Oatmeal bread is a traditional home baked bread that has been popular in America since colonial times. If you are a fan of old TV shows like Little House on the Prairie & the Waltons like I am, you’ll find references to this bread. There are so many different variations of making this bread. Some simply combine the raw oats with the flour and then make bread as you would normally. Others cook the oats first. Since I had such a successful bread when I made Quinoa Bread by cooking the quinoa first, I decided to go with this method.
Oatmeal Bread Video
See how easily this bread comes together!
I hope this recipe inspires you to start making your own bread and here are a few other recipes to keep you going with your bread baking.
- 100% Whole Wheat Bread
- No Knead Whole Wheat Bread
- Anadama Bread
- Rustic Semolina Bread
- Spinach Semolina Multi Grain Bread
- Buttermilk Whole Wheat Bread
This bread is super soft and fluffy!
Despite the soft texture, it has enough density to hold up to things like French Toast and Bread Pudding.
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup warm water 120 – 125 F
- 2 1/4 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 2 3/4 cups bread flour or all purpose flour + extra for dusting
- 2 tablespoons raw brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- In a bowl, pour boiling water over oats and stir to mix. Let cool to room temperature. The oats will have absorbed all of the water.
- In a small bowl, whisk warm water with 1 teaspoon of the sugar. Sprinkle yeast on top. Let sit for 5-10 minutes, until yeast turns foamy.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Add remaining sugar, flaxseed and butter. Give it a quick mix.
- Add oatmeal and proofed yeast.
- Mix well and knead for 5 minutes, until you have a dough that is soft and pliable. (10 minutes if kneading by hand)
- Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap sprayed with non stick spray. Cover with a kitchen towel and leave to rise for 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- Grease a loaf pan with non stick spray or oil.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured board.
- Roll into a 12×17 rectangle. Starting at the narrow end, roll into a tight cylinder.
- Place in prepared pan and cover loosely with a kitchen towel. Let rise for 45 minutes, until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375 F,
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, until loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
ARE YOU EXCITED TO TRY THIS RECIPE? PLEASE HELP ME CONTINUE TO PROVIDE YOU WITH DELICIOUS RECIPES BY SHARING IT AND SHOPPING FOR YOUR FAVORITE AMAZON PRODUCTS WITH THE LINKS BELOW!
PIN IT FOR LATER
DO YOU YUM? SAVE IT BELOW!Yum
DONT FORGET TO CHECK OUT MY RECIPE INDEX WITH OVER 1000 INTERNATIONAL RECIPES FROM AROUND THE WORLD
DISCLAIMER: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost to you. *** Other Affiliate links may also be included***