Persian Roast Chicken makes an easy weeknight dinner. The spice blend infused with rose and cinnamon is versatile and can be used on a variety of meat or vegetables.
Roast Chicken is one of the easiest things in the world to make and cooks pretty fast if you use chicken pieces, instead of the whole chicken and even faster is you use boneless pieces. For optimal flavor, marinate overnight and then stick it in the oven and within an hour, you have dinner. The key to really delicious Roast Chicken is to have a fabulous marinade.
Not only chicken, but this spice blend also works great on vegetables. I have used it with carrots, green beans and potatoes. It’s also delicious on lamb!
A few weeks ago, I did a Masala Roast Chicken. This week it’s Persian Chicken. The spice blend can be used on any variety of meats or vegetables. I have used it on everything from potatoes to broccoli and its just as delicious on vegetables.
Of course, as delicious as this is, you will get sick of it if you eat it too often. Too much of anything is tiring.. Switch up your roast chicken by having different spice blends on hand. Here are some other spice blends you might want to try on your roast chicken recipes.
Spice Blend Recipes
and with the Raz el Hanout, you can make super easy Harissa Roast Chicken Recipe with just 4 ingredients this one will become a family favorite for sure!
Serve with Persian Spinach Polow.
Serve with Roasted Vegetables or a Green Salad for a carb free meal!
You can also cook this chicken on the grill and serve it up at summer barbecues!
Persian Roast Chicken
- Spice Blend Ingredients:
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom seeds about 20 cardamom pods
- 3 tablespoons dried rose
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg freshly grated
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- Chicken Ingredients:
- 3 lbs. chicken pieces
- 3 tablespoons non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro garnish
- To make the spice blend, grind cardamom seeds and measure to confirm quantity. Add dried rose and grind to a powder.
- Transfer to a bowl and add cinnamon, black pepper, nutmeg and coriander. Mix to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine yogurt, olive oil and salt. Add the spice mix and mix well.
- Add chicken pieces and toss well so that the chicken pieces are well coated with the marinade.
- This is a thick marinade and will just coat the chicken.
- Preheat oven to375 F.
- Spray a shallow casserole dish with non stick spray. Place chicken pieces in dish and bake for 35 minutes.
- Flip chicken pieces and cook for another 20 minutes.
- To serve, garnish with chopped cilantro.