Scandinavian Spice Cookies – Pepperkakor
Made throughout Scandinavia, these heavily spiced cookies include cinnamon, ginger and black pepper. They are perfect with a cup of tea.
Spice Cookies, including black pepper, are popular throughout Scandinavia. In Iceland, they are known as Piparkokur and in Sweden, they are called Pepperkakor. In Denmark, it is has a slightly different flavor profile with white pepper and mace. There they are called Pebernodder.
The flavor profile is very reminiscent of these Croatian Spice Cookies, which were a big hit!
Smoky spices and black pepper make the perfect flavor profile for the holiday season. I can’t begin to tell you how good the house smelled while these were in the oven.
Having recently returned from a trip to Iceland, I am definitely in a Scandinavian state of mind, however, I have always loved this cuisine. Check out the long list of Scandinavian recipes I have already showed you so you can whip up an entire meal around these cookies!
- Sandbakkels – Norwegian Almond Butter Cookie Cups
- Uppakra – Swedish Potato Cookies
- Skagenrora – Swedish Shrimp Salad
- Turnbrodsrolle – Swedish Rye Wraps
- Lefse – Norwegian Potato Bread
- Hiekkakakku – Finnish Sandtorte
- Viking Brown Bread
- Fjelbrod – Norwegian Whole Grain Quickbread
- Porkkana Laatikko – Carrot Rice Pudding
- Kalaallit Kaagiat – Greenlandic Cake
- Swedish Pancakes
- Finnish Spinach Pancakes
Making the Cookies
Although these are traditionally made with all purpose flour, I made this whole wheat version, adding more fiber and therefore, making these traditional cookies a bit healthier.
Using whole wheat pastry flour gives the cookies whole grain goodness, but still maintains a tender crumb.
Depending on the size of the cookie cutters you use will depend on the quantity of cookies you yield. Using the small cookie cutters like I did for most of the cookie dough, you will get about 250 cookies.
These cookies would make a great edible gift for the holiday season.
I did make a few in holiday shapes and made a rustic attempt at adding a little decoration to them. Hey, I never claimed for decorating to be my forte!
These cookies are just barely sweetened and are perfect for tea time also!
Scandinavian Spice Cookies – Pepperkakor
- 3 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour or all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup softened butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- ¼ cup corn syrup or golden syrup
- ½ cup buttermilk
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, pepper and cloves. Mix to combine.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add corn syrup and buttermilk. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add 1/3 of the flour combination and mix until thoroughly combined. Repeat 2 more times until all of the flour has been incorporated.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerator for at least 6 hours and up to 3 days.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or spray with non stick spray.
- Divide dough in half and work with one half at a time, leaving the other half in the refrigerator.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough until about ½” thick, sprinkling flour on top as needed.
- Dip cookie cutters in flour. Cut out shapes and place on prepared cookie sheets. Repeat until all the dough has been used.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Leave the cookies to set on the cookie sheets for 10 minutes.
- Remove from cookie sheets.
SHARE THIS DELICIOUS RECIPE WITH YOUR FOODIE FRIENDS
ARE YOU EXCITED TO TRY THIS RECIPE? PLEASE HELP ME CONTINUE TO PROVIDE YOU WITH DELICIOUS RECIPES BY SHARING IT AND SHOPPING FOR YOUR FAVORITE AMAZON PRODUCTS WITH THE LINKS BELOW!
PIN IT FOR LATER
Maybe you are thinking of visiting Iceland soon like me? If so, check out some of what I experienced in Iceland to give you an idea what to expect of Iceland!
Iceland Travel Posts
DONT FORGET TO CHECK OUT MY RECIPE INDEX WITH OVER 1000 INTERNATIONAL RECIPES FROM AROUND THE WORLD
DISCLAIMER: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost to you. *** Other Affiliate links may also be included***