This allergen free hummus without nuts or seeds is the perfect treat for those with nut/seed allergies.
Hummus & Pita Co., a fast food restaurant chain here in NYC is one of my favorite eating places because of the variety of flavored hummus’ they offer. I have never been a fan of plain hummus as I find the tahini takes over, but the flavored hummus makes the tahini flavor negligible. Are you one of those who look at your friends with jealousy as they dip their pita bread into that creamy luscious goodness called hummus, but just can’t get past the overpowering flavor of tahini. You want to love it because it looks so good and your friends seem to go into a hummus coma every time they have it or maybe you have an allergy to nuts/seeds so can’t have it even if you wanted to. Well I have the answer for you in this tahini free version of Allergen Free Spinach Harissa Hummus – now all of you with the nut/seed allergies can jump on the hummus bandwagon too!
I made it with my homemade harissa recipe. Sure you can use store bought harissa, but everything tastes better homemade right! If you’d like to make it with homemade traditional pita bread also, try my pita bread recipe here. Homemade pita bread is a lot easier than you would think – Check it out!
IN THE MAKING
Not only am I not a big fan of the flavor of tahini but I also have several nut allergies which have been increasing with each year as I get older. The only nut, which is actually a legume that I don’t have problems with is peanuts. All of the others I must be very cautious and can only eat in small quantities. Then there are Brazil Nuts which I cannot even touch them or I will start breaking out in hives and forget about eating them – anaphylaxis shock sets in just seconds and I’m gasping for air to breathe. Not a pretty sight! So for all of you who suffer with nut/seed allergies like me, this is the hummus for you!
You can choose to have it with the extra olive oil garnish…
Allergen Free Spinach Harissa Hummus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 can chickpeas
- 9 oz. baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 2 tablespoons harissa
- ¾ cup olive oil
- salt to taste
- Sumac for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add garlic and pan fry until golden brown.
- Drain chickpeas and rinse well.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add spinach leaves and cook until they wilt, about 1 minute.
- Drain and place spinach leaves in a clean kitchen towel or cheesecloth. Squeeze out all of the excess water.
- Pour garlic with the oil from the pan in a food processor with the chickpeas and spinach. Process well.
- Add lemon juice, cumin, paprika, harissa, olive oil and salt, Process well.
- Add oregano and process until smooth and well combined.
- Add salt, as needed
- To serve, garnish with a sprinkle of sumac and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Do you know anyone else who likes learning about international food, culture, history and travel? Bring them over here to join the party! Don’t forget to use those share buttons!
Start Here to find out how the Schizo Chef can help you with your cooking, travel and other needs!
If you like this recipe, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT & SUBSCRIBE!