Strawberry Rose Red Pepper Jam – this spiced up jam will replace your standard Strawberry Jam. It works both with sweet and savory accompaniments.
I used to think jam was such a complicated affair needing a lot of canning equipment, but making a small batch of jam for home use is so fast and easy. All you need is a heavy bottomed pot. Making it yourself allows you to customize the flavors and control the quantity of sugar. Pectin, agar agar and other thickeners speed up the process a bit, but aren’t essential. I have some jam recipes that use nothing to thicken it. Those versions just need to be cooked a little longer.
Strawberries are pretty much available all year round so this jam can be made at any time of year. However instead of just plain old boring strawberry jam, I spiced mine up here and I can’t tell how how amazing the addition of ginger and rose works with the strawberries.
Before we get to today’s recipe, let’s take a look at some other recipe you can try.
- Pumpkin Jam
- Peach Jam
- Mango-Papaya Jam
- Cranberry Lavender Jam
- Mango Strawberry Jam
- Wild Strawberry-Gooseberry Jam
- Blueberry Chia Jam
- Quince Jam
IN THE MAKING
This jam, with it’s slight spicy kick, is a wonderful complement to savory foods as well as bread.
It went along great with this rustic Viking Bread.
Strawberry Rose Red Pepper Jam
- 4 cups strawberries chopped very small
- 2 cups sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg freshly grated
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dried rose crushed
- 3 tablespoons rose water
- 1/2 teaspoons agar agar powder
- Combine all ingredients except the agar agar in a large, heavy bottomed pot and bring to a high, rolling boil.
- Simmer on medium hjigh heat for 25 minutes, stirring often.
- Add agar agar. Simmer for another 10 minutes, until thickened and the jam starts to leave the side of the pan when pulled back with a wooden spoon.
- Do not let it get too thick as it will continue to thicken as it chills.
- Turn off the flame and let cool.