Vada Papu – Indian Dessert Split Pea Salad
This delicious salad with apples and coconut is a healthy protein packed snack
Again, Srivalli went a little crazy with the rules within the Cookbook Theme for the Blogging Marathon this month. Out of a list of about a dozen items like split peas, strawberries, mango and milk, we had to pick two ingredients of the list from a cookbook recipe. For today’s recipe, the two ingredients from the list I am using are channa dal (yellow split peas) and jaggery. This Andhra dessert salad is adapted from Julie Sahni‘s Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking. This Brahmain Andhra Pradesh recipe is a unique sweet salad made with split peas.
There are both savory and sweet versions of this salad. I like the idea of this sweet version with makes a healthy snack.
I love participating in these unique challenges. It makes me clear off the dust of some of the cookbooks on my shelves.
American desserts and snacks are not often used with members of the legume family. However, many other cultures use varieties of lentils, peas and beans in desserts. These make for high protein desserts, therefore, little guilt needs to be associated with these sweet treats.
Check out some other legume based desserts to add some protein to the end of the meal!
This delicious Vada Papu – Indian Dessert Split Pea Salad is both VEGAN and GLUTEN FREE. It is perfect to serve at parties for those with dietary restrictions.
Vada Papu – Indian Dessert Split Pea Salad is very addictive and will be hard to resist!
Legume Dessert Recipes
- Habichuela con Dulce – Dominican Bean Pudding
- Che Dau Xanh – Vietnamese Mung Bean Pudding
- Chana Dal Payasam – Indian Split Pea Pudding
Vada Papu – Indian
- 1 cup yellow split peas soaked overnight
- 1/3 cup jaggery powdered (substitute: firmly packed dark brown sugar)
- ¾ cup water
- 1 apple peeled, cored and cut into small dice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup frozen grated coconut defrosted (or freshly grated coconut)
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil.
- Add presoaked split peas and boil for 30 minutes, skimming foam with a soup ladle that rises to the top as needed. (alternately, this can be done in an instant pot or pressure cooker).
- Immediately drain and run with cold water to stop cooking process. You don’t want the peas to be mushy. They should be just done.
- Heat jaggery and water over medium high heat, until jaggery melts.
- Add the peas and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently, until peas have absorbed the jaggery syrup.
- Toss apple with the lemon juice.
- Remove peas from heat and add coconut and apple.
- Add raisins, fennel seed and cardamom. Stir to combine.
- Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.
ARE YOU EXCITED TO TRY THIS RECIPE? PLEASE HELP ME CONTINUE TO PROVIDE YOU WITH DELICIOUS RECIPES BY SHARING IT AND SHOPPING FOR YOUR FAVORITE AMAZON PRODUCTS WITH THE LINKS BELOW!
PIN IT FOR LATER
DO YOU YUM? SAVE IT BELOW!Yum
DONT FORGET TO CHECK OUT MY RECIPE INDEX WITH OVER 1000 INTERNATIONAL RECIPES FROM AROUND THE WORLD
DISCLAIMER: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost to you. *** Other Affiliate links may also be included***Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM#107