Ube Ice Cream – Purple Yam Ice Cream
This method of the popular Filipino Ube Ice Cream uses the ube jam method. Get the recipe for both and enjoy this delicious summertime ice cream.
Helayang Ube is a ubiquitous ingredient in Filipino cuisine. You find it used in making everything from smoothies and cakes to bread and ice cream.
Ube is a sweet purple yam used in Filipino cuisine. Do not confuse this with the Peruvian Purple Potatoes or the Japanese Purple Potatoes. Ube has much darker and richer purple flesh and is much sweeter. Here in America, it most often found frozen. Look for frozen cooked and mashed ube in your local Asian market.
The first time I had Ube Ice Cream was when I was in Penang (Malaysia) and I have been a fan ever since. There are a few different ways to make ube ice cream. Many often just use ube extract or ube powder to get the color and flavor. However, I wanted to opt for the most natural and traditional way of making the Ube Ice Cream.
This methodology includes making Ube Jam first. Ube Jam is common in the Phillipines and often had for breakfast with toast and cheese.
I made this Ube Jam a little looser than when I make Helayang Ube (Gluten Free Ube Cake) and is the staple for the ice cream.
IN THE MAKING – HOW TO MAKE UBE JAM
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 1 stick
- a pinch of salt
- 1 12 oz. can evaporated milk
- 1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups frozen purple yam defrosted
- In a large pot, melt butter and salt.
- In a bowl, whisk together the evaporated milk, condensed milk and purple yam.
- Add to pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about 20 minutes until thickened, and mixture pulls away from the pan.
- Transfer to a greased square dish.
- Transfer to refrigerator to chill overnight.
Now that you have the Ube Jam made, it’s time to make the Ube Ice Cream – Purple Yam Ice Cream – Ube Jam Method
This ice cream is super luscious and creamy!
Ube Ice Cream
- 1 cup ube jam
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- Ube extract
- In a large bowl, whisk together ube jam, coconut milk, heavy cream and sweetened condensed milk.
- Add ube extract, as desired for color. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer to a freezer safe container.
- After 2 hours, mix and return to the freezer.
- Mix again after another 2 hours.
- Freeze overnight.
ARE YOU EXCITED TO TRY THIS RECIPE? PLEASE HELP ME CONTINUE TO PROVIDE YOU WITH DELICIOUS RECIPES BY SHARING IT AND SHOPPING FOR YOUR FAVORITE AMAZON PRODUCTS WITH THE LINKS BELOW!
PIN IT FOR LATER
DO YOU YUM? SAVE IT BELOW!Yum
DONT FORGET TO CHECK OUT MY RECIPE INDEX WITH OVER 1000 INTERNATIONAL RECIPES FROM AROUND THE WORLD
DISCLAIMER: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost to you. *** Other Affiliate links may also be included***