Cabbage Green Plantain Poriyal
this quick vegetable side dish is a perfect accompaniment to any meal.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 2 green plantains diced
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red chile powder cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 cups green cabbage diced
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 pinch asoefetida
- 2 teaspoons urad dal split black lentils
- 1 teaspoon channa dal yellow split peas
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 dry red chile
- 2 green chiles split
- 3 tablespoons frozen grated coconut defrosted (or freshly grated coconut)
Toss the green plantains with the chile powder, turmeric, water and salt. Leave to sit for 15 minutes.
I a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil.
Add mustard seed. After they start to pop, add asoefetida, curry leaves, red chile, urad dal and channa dal. Fry for 1 minute until the dal starts to change color.
Add plantains and stir fry for 5 minutes, until plantains are cooked through.
Add cabbage and cook another 3 minutes.
Add coconut and salt, to taste. Stir to combine and stir fry for another 1/2 minute.