Chocolate Almond Cake
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 4 1/2 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons rum I used Apricot brandy because it was what I had in stock
- 3/4 cup almonds ground very fine in a food processor (while blanching and skinning almonds first is common, I prefer the heightened nutty flavor by using the raw almonds)
- 1 stick butter softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs separated
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2/3 cup self rising cake flour sifted
- Ganache Frosting Ingredients:
- 2 1/2 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons brewed coffee use strong Espresso type coffee - I used Cafe Bustelo
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Butter a flour a 9-inch cake pan.
Melt chocolate using double boiler or stainless steel bowl. Once the chocolate starts to melt, add the rum or brandy and mix until chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Immediately remove from heat.
Mix the butter and sugar together until pale yellow and creamy. Add egg yolks and mix until well blended.
In another clean stainless steel or glass bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks are formed. Add the tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and beat until you have stiff peaks.
Using a rubber spatula, fold in the melted chocolate, almond extract and the ground almonds into the butter-sugar mixture. Mix well until thoroughly combined.
Fold in 1/2 of the egg whites and then half of the flour mixture. Repeat until just combined.
Pour into prepared cake pan and bake for 25 minutes.
Now, let's make the ganache.
Using double boiler or stainless steel bowl, melt chocolate. Once it starts to melt, add coffee. When it is smooth, remove from heat and add butter. Mix well until smooth and homogenous. Let cool completely.
Calories: 351.47kcal | Carbohydrates: 32.26g | Protein: 4.7g | Fat: 23.91g | Saturated Fat: 12.11g | Sodium: 43.59mg | Fiber: 2.22g | Sugar: 23.19g